View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 04:05 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This is all so foreign to me. In NZ a few weeks ago the law was relaxed so that teachers are now allowed to 'place a hand on a childs shoulder to comfort if the situation warrents this'. Up until recently, although it wasnt actually against the law for hugs or physical contact it was strongly disuaded and the professional body that advises teachers prevented physical contact. It simply isnt ok for teachers to touch children in a day to day way. This has be borne out of avoiding abuse and false accusations of abuse.

Special needs kids are different - and while I understand Vinces schools policy of no hugs, what I dont get that it was ok, and now its not and he has had no time to adjust or comprehend this shift in policy and there has been no acknowledgement or recognition that Vince doesnt understand this sudden shift.

Mili I think it is appropriate for teachers not to be hugging him. I realise that it is tough withdrawing this and it has been handled badly. Vince obviously needs this contact with people he feels close to. But later he is going to have hormones raging through his body and it is better for him to be getting his head around when its ok and when its not ok to touch others now than when he is 15.

Anyway if I have misunderstood anything that has happened forgive me. Autism suck period. Always there are challenges. Hazel has been writing long letters to her self entitled "My ideal boyfriend". When she has virtually no friends and no peers and no contact with anyone even remotely able to be a boyfriend.

When you get a chance to absorb everything email me There has to be a way through this for Vince.
SuperMama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote