View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 08:11 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks everyone! Thank you thank you.

Because of all the support, I feel so much more sane - ever feel insane when communicating with school?

It seems everyone I've discussed this with seems to feel like I do...this has got to be a process not an overnight change.

Also, it should have been a change I was a part of since I am part of the IEP team. I hope in the upcoming meeting, we can work this out. But to my surprise, this is really the least of the problems at school. I mean, I consider it a huge problem that teachers are demonstrating patience and asking reasonble things of him, and he is resistant, noncompliant, and calling them names. Wow!

It was pretty darn funny, if it weren't so sad...I was asking him last night, "do you think you're always fun to be around for the teachers?" and questions like that as he gave me his complaint list about the people at school. Well, according to Vince, he is nothing but pure joy to be around. Oh, sure.

I well well WELL remember being in my late 20's, and for the first time having the thought that maybe, just maybe, I am annoying to others, that it's not always them being crabby but me doing something. Quite a revelation. I don't want Vince to wait till his late 20's to see HIS part in the way others react to him...does that make sense???

I mean, this was a hug/touch issue, now it's just growing to huge proportions. Huge but long over due proportions. Why the heck is he acting like such a little stink at school, and just being allowed to? I mean, IS extinction the right coarse of action when Vince calls a teacher a moron and cops an attitude for being asked to put a book away? I call that a plain old fashion lack of respect, not asd related. I mean really, I want to see my kid with objective eyes. I want to understand when to cut him some slack, but I think he's getting too much slack cut. He really has had no practice what so ever, in being told to do something and his mind going "Okay!" in a positive way. Again, I'm more concerned with the internal feelings and thoughts than his actions...his actions will be fine when his thoughts are, ya know?

But thank you again, very much, for all the posts. I'm rushing (again) but I just had to read everything.

Mili
Milivica is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote