View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 05:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lyrica vs Neurontin

Quote:
Originally Posted by groskilly View Post
My Doc switched me from Gabapentin to Lyrica about a month ago. The Gabapentin was no longer helping much with my burning feet. I was at 3600mg of Gabapentin. I continued to take the remaining Gabapentin (300mg caps) here and there along with the Lyrica when the burning was bad and it seemed to help. Eventually I ran out of the Gabapetin and the burning became more intense (worse). I told my Doc I was taking both and he said he never heard of anybody doing that and doesn't recommend it.
A couple of questions.
Does it make any sense at all that the 2 drugs would work better in combination ?
I am taking 375mg of Lyrica and would like to increase the dosage. Does Lyrica have a max dose where the effectiveness peaks out like Gabapentin (3600mg) ?
Gerald
EarlG:
Groskilly, I agree with your physician. I also tried this and actually found them both to be rather antagonistic. There is no question that Lyrica is more effective than Gabapentin. However I wonder if over time Lyrica will be no more effective than Neurontin. I can remember how impressed I was when I first took gabapentin but over the years it lost its effectiveness except in very high doses. I am a retired physician (45 years a doctor) and developed painful neuropathy and like all of us searched for relieve avoiding at all costs narcotics. I also found that by giving a bolus of the medication (i.e., daily dose all at once) the medication was very much more effective. Although I would not recommend that for everyone only for old veterans like me. Also let your physician know. The biochemical theory why this may be more effective lies in the ability of drugs to saturate receptors (in this case the nerves or brain cells). In fact I really believe the basic lesion in this disease may lie within receptors in the brain which explains why when a sudden episode of pain occurs in the feet it is always bilateral. This is my first time on this forum and I may not have done this correcting- but I suppose the administrator will let me know. SO\o excuse me this time. EarlG
EarlG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote