View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 08:51 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy T View Post
Why can't you just use a metal detector to screen little old ladies and other forgetful folks before they go in? Or tell them that they'd better think REAL hard because if they forgot any metal on/in their body, they could come out dead, disfigured, or whatever you think would scare that particular individual the most. Kidding on that one, of course, but really why not metal detectors?

Actually, I DID know about the helium-oxygen disaster thing. I read several sites on MRI safety after having that hot-neck episode, and that one, well, it took my breath away! I presume that remains only a theoretical possiblity and has never happened? Although I did hear about the kid who got killed when an oxygen tank hit him in the head; very sad.

I bet the whole ER staff is still telling your Vitalis story! I'm sure you've seen lots of funny stuff, but do you ever watch the true-life "Untold Stories of the ER" on TV? It's really amazing--and excellent proof of what you said: You can't make this stuff up. I mean, the woman who kept named worms in pockets she cut into her skin... the guy who was removing thumbtacks on the ceiling and had one fall into his mouth and directly into his lung, unbeknownst to anyone until he nearly died... the doctor who hit on using hair-removal wax to get thousands of cactus stickers out of a young girl's skin, etc.

Nancy
They did give us hand-held metal detectors once long ago...but it's very dififcult to set the things so that they don't pick up a rivet in your jeans. And a metal detector won't detect an internal clip. Usually, the verbal screening process works pretty well. In the real world, waving a beeping wand at people isn't usually well received.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy T View Post
You should start a "Rex's 100 funniest stories" daily feature and keep us amused for 100 days
No.

rex
kingrex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote