View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 06:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lyrica with Gabapentin

Groskilly I agree with your doctor the two do not seem to help in fact after having tried the two together for a week I found that they maybe actually antagonistic. Let me give my view points on this disease peripheral neuropathy. I am a retired physician for many years and I actually retired earlier than planned because of this disorder. Although we feel the pain in the feet the actual disease may actually lie in the brain. The reason I venture that opinion because the sudden episodes of pain are always bilateral. Also because the drugs, gabapentin and lyrica, were really originally developed to control seizures which of course results from firing of cells in the brain. Also many of the side effects are "central" in nature (i.e., in the brain)
Now for treatment. I found that giving a bolus (daily dosage given all at once) seemed to help considerably. There may be a sound biochemical reason for this. By giving a bolus very high blood levels are attained which can then effectively block receptors on the nerve (and brain cells) for a longer period of time. By splitting the daily dosage over 2-3 times a day very high blood levels are never attained since the drug is rapidly cleared from the blood (within 2-4 hours). Now I would recommend this idea only for old veterans like me and then of course only after consultation with your physician. Those of us who have suffered from this disease know that we all search for some satisfatory relief avoiding at all costs using narcotics. Finally I would be amiss if I didn't mention the side effects -- yes dear there are always and always will be side effects to every single medication ever brought to the market. The more dramatic side effects of dizzness, somnolence etc fortunately become less pronounced with time.
EarlG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote