View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My family lives with the effects of a drunk drivers actions every day.

My mom was hit by a drunk driver when she was 17yrs old. She lived, but she was in a coma for 5 weeks with a brain concussion.

When she came out of the coma, she had to re-learn how to walk. Her vision was screwed up, she needed prisms in her glasses for several years to fix her vision. When she started college classes not long after her accident, she noticed she had to tilt her head almost all the way to the side to read the chalk board.

She's had memory problems, anger issues because there was apparently damage to that part of the brain that controls emotions.

Now that she's in her late 60s, she's got back, knee and hip problems from some of the injuries she got from the drunk hitting the car she was in.

The memory problems are getting worse, and the anger issues are bigger than just issues now. She's pretty much on her last nerve and anything can set her off. (no control at all)

When I was growing up, I didnt realize that there was something wrong with my mom. I thought she was normal. (she is fairly normal compared to some other people, I've had friends who's parents were a lot stranger, and they didnt have a brain concussion to use as an excuse for weird behavior)

My dad did a good job of protecting me and my sibling from my mom's personality.

I have no sympathy for any drunk drivers. Having to deal with my mom and her TBI from that drunk driver, it's one of the reasons I do not drink alcohol. If I were ever in the jury pool for a drunk driver's trial, they wouldnt be able to use me because I would want the guy to be found guilty and dropped into a hole and never let out.

I really hope this program will keep everyone who participates from drinking and driving and potentially killing or injuring anyone else.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KarenMarie (05-14-2008), Natalie8 (05-13-2008), Victor H (05-08-2008), yeahbut (05-08-2008)