View Single Post
Old 05-08-2008, 10:04 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default surgery coming up on 5/30/08

Thanks to all, especially KiwiMike. I see that there havent been many recent posts, so I hope someone will see this! I was in a horrific car crash 3 years ago and suffered 2 herniations at L4-L5 and L5-S1. The higher herniation has ruptured, and after 3 years of conservative treatment (PT, Pain Management, Epidural Injections) I have told the Docs that I want surgery. I have met with 3 seperate Docs her in CT, and all have said that a 2 level fusion from L4 to S1 is the only option. They all agree that Laminectomy will not help because my main pain issues are in the low back rather than down the legs. They say that they expect a 75% improvement. I am a Police Officer and have always been very active and was a Ski Instructor part time. I really want to get back to the slopes, and start to really enjoy my young children, who are becoming increasingly more demanding for Daddy to play with them, which has been very difficult. I am only 39, and I feel like I have the body of 80. I walk with a definite limp now, which has been causing horrible pain in my knees. Now that the Docs have called out of the blue and told me, "It's a go for 5/30"; I have gottne very anxious about weather I am doing the right thing. The years since my accident have been very traumatic for me, and the feelings of being trapped and helpless have been very hard to deal with. I have been in psychotherapy for PTSD and suicidal thoughts, which thankfully have gone away; but now I am really worried about negative side effects. I dont want to be in worse shape than before, and I am very nervous about possible sexual side effects (thanks to something one of the Docs said; which was probably pretty innocent, but the seed is planted). I feel like I really understand the physics of what is wrong with me, and I believe that the surgery will really help. I know that Mike has had a really great outcome, and even though Abby was pretty distrought shortly after, it seems like your much better now too. Thanks for listening, and any encouraging words will help a lot.
Mike508 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tamiloo (05-28-2010)