View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 04:29 AM
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr123 View Post
Alffe, what an insightful way your Pastor had of explaining Michael's death to his son. And your church seems to have a very loving, supportive environment. I have been looking around for a church where I feel like I "belong". Before, when I could get out of the house unassisted, I attended a few different services but just never felt like I could become part of their "family". About 18 months ago I found a little church that I felt good in. I attended Sunday services for about 6 months until I became an invalid; pain in the butt for me and EVERYONE. My Pastor calls, or I will call him, and we have prayer together on the phone. I have only told him that I have no living relatives but thats about al he knows about my past other than the chronic pain. I am afraid of what he and the other church members would say (treat me) if they knew the truth about my brother & sister. I have been told over & over that if you commit suicide you have a straight ticket to Hell. Well that's not in my Bible and I refuse to believe that my family are anywhere other than Heaven. God has blessed me with this unwavering truth but I just don't know if my church will still accept me. I guess if they don't then this is not the church for me. But how do I slip this into a conversation with my Pastor?

Thanks for listening. Any suggestions will be helpful.

Good morning Jan, I hope you had a good nights sleep. *grin

Ignorant, fearful people say ignorant things. It's cruel and just plain wrong to judge us but unfortunately some people are so sure of their version of the Bible that their minds are closed on the subject. I had a minister's wife tell me that Michael went straight to hell. I don't believe it...I had another minister tell me that there is redemption after death..that was a lot more comforting. Perhaps some day I'll know all the answers for sure.

I'm glad you found a little church that you feel welcome in but I think that you must ask that minister to come for a visit...that you need to talk to him.
(There is that TALK thing again..) People cannot help us if they don't know how we feel...if they don't know our pain and sorrow and it's his chosen misson in this life to care for one of his congregation.

If you decide to do this (after your surgery of course and he should come and visit with you for that reason alone!) you should share with him your fears about being judged rather than comforted. You need help in order to heal....we all do.

I know how difficult it will be to open up about something you have kept hidden for so long but I think you will feel so much better and your load will be a lot lighter.

Well, I need to get a cup of coffee in me....

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote