View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

There are different kinds of numbness, and solutions:

1. Do they feel completely numb, like if you lay there and concentrate, you can't even figure out where they are laying? Not the heaviness feeling (like when you cut off the circulation), or even ANY sensation what-so-ever, just that you can't "find" them?

If so, this is a MS symptom called "Proprioceptive Dysfunction; Loss of awareness of location of body parts."

2. If it is more like a very tingly sensation, like when "normal" numbness is starting to subside and the pins and needles are coming . . . this can be caused by MS too, but can be dependant on the way you sleep.

I have some 'permanent' numbness/tingling in my hands, but when I get up from laying down, it can be much more tingly then it is normally throughout the day. I think it is due to my spinal lesions being pinched/cramped or something, as the tingling is the same feeling as when I am in an attack, but not constant or as difficult.

If this is the sensation, I agree with Cheryl that it is worthwhile to try to find another way to sleep, by using a different pillow or position. I do think it's related to MS spinal lesions, but is dependant on how we are laying as to how much we are affected by it.

3. Then there's spasticity . . . which is a different feeling again. For me, my hands and arms are very achy after sleeping, from bending my wrists in weird positions while I sleep.

In that case, I agree that wearing braces at night will help that.

Depending on WHICH "limbs going to sleep" sensation you have . . . there may be ways to relieve it. The first thing to do though is try to observe and come up with a solid description of the sensation; the timing if it, the length of time it stays, etc.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
yeahbut (05-11-2008)