View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 01:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My heart goes out to you for what you are going through. To make a long story short, my beautiful, talented, athletic, brilliant daughter (objectively speaking, of course!) suffered a series of concussions two years ago when she was 14. Although she was at a different point in her life, she suffered from many of the symptoms you describe and because of her stellar history and reputation at school, they made a lot of accommodations for her. Granted, she did not have as much to deal with as you, but it was hell. I'll get into what helped her later...

My first bit of advice to you is to STOP DRINKING IMMEDIATELY!!! You are doubtlessly aware of the effects of alcohol on the brain, and you can't risk it being any more compromised.

Secondly, make sure you GET ENOUGH SLEEP. This may mean 10 to 12 hours a night, but it is crucial.

Thirdly, have your neurologist or psychiatrist prescribe an ANTIDEPRESSANT. Not only will it help your mood and make you less distressed, but it promotes neurogenesis, re-establishing neural connections in the brain. My daughter takes a low dose (75 mg.) of Elavil. She started on a different antidepressant (can't remember the name), but Elavil is more effective at lower doses, thereby reducing side effects. At the very beginning, she took Antivert for vertigo, which I don't know if you have.

Lastly, consider ALTERNATE THERAPIES. Other people have written about what's worked for them and you can browse through the various threads. What worked for my daughter, in addition to Elavil, was acupunture and mild chiropractic, mostly to work on muscle tightness in her neck which was impeding blood flow. That stopped working after a while, and now she sees an osteopath/homeopath about every 3 to 4 weeks and she has had a major turn around in the last 5 months. Although she is not back to the way she was, she is fully functional and I no longer worry that she will lead a normal life, possibly with some modifications.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
PCSMom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote