View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 10:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Cool

I recently wrote this in response to someone else whose insurance company was balking at paying for this procedure. Not all parts of my response will apply to you but the rest will.

I had punch skin biopsies [2 places] to test for small fiber nerve damage. [BTW, I do have it.] My skin punch biopsies was performed by a dermatologist under the direction of my neurologist. The containers to place the specimens were supplied by the lab that was going to analyze the test. That was the lab at Columbia University. It is my understanding that the other lab that performs this analysis is in Utah. At the time I had my biopsies those were the only two labs in the country to do this analysis.

Someone in your network certainly can perform the actually biopsies. The insurance company is probably balking at the cost of the specimen analysis. I dug out my EOB from my insurance company for the lab charges. In October of 2006 the lab charged $1,716.00 to anaylze the 2 specimens. My insurance company paid them $1,348.04.

At least two specimens must be taken. One is taken in the problem area. The other specimen is taken from an area without symptoms. That way there can be a comparison.
Ides is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote