View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 06:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 2 weeks post op w/ Dr.Avery also

hi there.
2 weeks post-op...Oct 4th.
I'm struggling because of a lot of swelling and still a lot of pain. I was under retractor longer than expected because Dr. Avery said it was really quite a mess in there. oops!! My narrowing numbers are/were 5 mm on right which I had done and 2 mm on left.
I have limited range & control of right arm because of swelling of nerves/ build up of fluid affecting biceps and deltoids. I can move my hand and wrist but that's about it for now. I had full range with my arm day of surgery but overnight the nerves swelled up and I've had a little day to day improvement since. My diaphragm was weak too but I've made huge progress strengthening. I'm very tired and wear out easily but am doing stretching exercises every day. Just going to be slow!!
I had my first out patient PT appt today which went well. Before surgery, I moved to SLC to have support from family and it's been reassuring to have chosen to do the surgery in SF even though I'm doing recovery/pt in SLC. The therapist said the last surgical case she had was 15 years ago.
She and Dr. Avery have talked at length and I feel very confident with her. She seems very on the ball as far as the right protocols for healing from this surgery and nerve desensitivation. The facility is state of the art at the Univ. of Utah...just very few surgeries are actually performed here.
I have been so impressed with Dr. Avery. I met him a year ago and then again in March. I had to see a neurologist/ Dr. Ansel from w/c and get his go ahead before they would authorize surgery. Dr. Avery was very thorough before and after in his care and responds quickly. He obviously cares about his patients...and not just those he does surgery on.
Nidia

Last edited by nidia74; 10-20-2006 at 10:11 AM. Reason: oops! used cm instead of mm