Thread: Mirapex
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 06:40 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default vest

In England a vest goes along with pants both are undergarments not seen outside the bedroom.
Pasties are interesting.Cornwall is the place really noted for them.Savoury ones(meat,potato and vegetables ) are crimped at the top.Apple ones are crimped at the side.In some parts of Cornwall the meat goes one end and the apple the other.They were originally the tin miners packed lunch so you threw away the pastry end as it was contaminated by tin where you had held it True Cornish do not consider themselves to be English.They have their own language and customs.My grandfather was descended from a Cornish tribal princess. I am of mixed race:not in the sense you mean, but I am Anglo-saxon/Norman(English) and Celtic(Cornish)
If you want a recipe for a traditional pastie I can provide it. Ask in a week or two as I am off on holiday.Like all true ly traditional recipes this variation on the pastie was handed down to me by example and not written down.I have a traditional recipe for a Bakewell Tart handed down in the same way.Yes, Tart has a double meaning in England as well.Tea is the most difficult to understand.If you are invited to tea it can be just a cup of tea or it can be sandwiches,cake,scones and rich double cream. You have to just guess.
EnglishCountryDancer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote