View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplegirl99 View Post
Hello,

When I had my last shunt revision I found out I had aqueductal stenosis. I was not born with hydrocephalus. I got hydro at six months of age due to menengitis. I thought that aqueductal stenosis was usually gotten at birth?

How did I get this disorder and why was it never caught when I was younger?And are there other ways of getting this disorder than at birth?

Ripplegirl99
Hi I am new member. just had a VP shunt installed at 59 years of age. I have ben diagnosed with aqueductal stenosis also. The Neurosurgeon says it is congenital. In my case, it was initally discovered when I had serious balance and dizziness problems 6 years ago. At the time they said "it's chronic so we won't worry about it. The balance was attributed to a TIA or mini-stroke.

This current episode of balance and other issuesfinally brought the hydrocephalus to a head ( no pun intended). Only at this time was the connenction made with the bad headaches I had for years and years in my 20s and 30s.

In any case, I can't really answer your question but at least you are not alone.
gpdorward is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote