View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I think we've been paying quite a bit more in Canada for a number of years (we used to cross the border to the US just to pick up cheese, dairy, etc. and save ourselves heaps). Now with the Canadian $ so strong, it might be even more worth it, but crossing the border is such a hassle since 9/11.

I have 4 mouths to feed, two of those being active teenagers, and I have to be very careful about how I spend my disability cheques. In fact, I rent out my basement, just to make ends meet.

When it comes to shopping, I bulk-shop for most things, and I flyer shop all the time. I read each of the flyers delivered every week, and I list out what I need from each place. They are only a few blocks either way (I am in the city) so I don't waste much gas/travel, but it does take time. I almost NEVER buy anything, unless it is on sale.

Most stores around here will honor the sale prices of other stores too, if you can be bothered to haul around the flyers and go get the refund at customer service. I'd just as soon go to the "other" store to get the sale price, because I usually have lots to buy at each store anyway. (I only like certain brands, and many stores carry their own generic that I won't always buy...)

I find I actually waste too much money, when buying from a place like Costco. I go in to buy 5 things and walk out with a buggy full worth $300 every time. Often a lot goes to waste too, cause it gets stale or goes off before we get around to eating the quantities a person has to buy from there. There are good deals for sure, but I'm too impulsive if I go into a store like that.

Cleaning supplies, bandaids, toilet paper, shampoo, tissues, etc . . . I definitely bulk shop on. Not that I buy bigger quantities, but I wait for them to go on sale very cheap somewhere, then buy the max limit.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chris (05-10-2008)