View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008, 11:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Most everyone I know that has taken Lyrica has had weight gain. It's a sad thing but most of the meds given us like lyrica, neurontin,antidepressants, one of the biggest side effects is weight gain. A close friend of mine, also has rsd, has gained quite a bit of weight because of the lyrica. Now me...I'm the one you live to hate because I've always been skinny but now I'm severely underweight which is in it's way unhealthy too. BUT I am also on lyrica, have been for 4 months now. I'm still waiting for the weight gain part to catch up!! *taps foot impatiently* LOLOL I really could stand to gain quite a bit and nothing. Just figures huh?

Short of getting off the lyrica there's nothing to be done, especially if your diet hasn't changed and the weight gain began after starting lyrica. Topomax is what some call the "weight loss" drug because it's side effect is weight loss. That's really nice if you've gained because of either other drugs and/or our inability to exercise. It might be something to look into. As with any other thing, drug,treatment, etc....it might not help. It's something that of course needs to be talked over with your doc and see what he/she thinks about it. My friend tried to switch from lyrica to topomax and as soon as she stopped the lyrica the burning came back on her really, really bad!! In just 2 weeks she went back on the lyrica again. That's a good example of how it might or might not work.

Hugs,

Karen

Living, loving and laughing with RSD for 14 years and counting.
GalenaFaolan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote