View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 01:39 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Mother's Day Memories.

In 1907, Anna M. Jarvis (1864-1948), a Philadelphia schoolteacher, began a movement to set up a national Mother's Day in honor of her mother, Ann Maria Reeves Jarvis. She solicited the help of hundreds of legislators and prominent businessmen to create a special day to honor mothers.

The first Mother's Day observance was a church service honoring Anna's mother. Anna handed out her mother's favorite flowers, the white incarnations, on the occasion as they represent sweetness, purity, and patience.

Anna's hard work finally paid off in the year 1914, when President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed the second Sunday in May as a national holiday in honor of mothers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My favorite Mother's Day was my very first one, when DD was born. They brought me a Rose and a Turkey/Dressing dinner, in the recovery room. DH promptly ate it. ( I couldn't eat.) DD was in an incubator for the first 4 days.

What is your favorite Mother's Day and why? It could be for you or for Your Mother.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (05-12-2008), Blessings2You (05-11-2008), Chris (05-11-2008), Jappy (05-12-2008), Riverwild (05-11-2008), SandyC (05-12-2008)