View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default root in sinus cavity

Hi pkeen,

It is common for upper wisdom teeth to be located in or near the sinus cavity. Generally these teeth are not removed unless they are decayed or if there is an infection or a cyst has developed around the root of the tooth.

The extraction fee of $275 is VERY reasonable and much less expensive than most for the extraction of a wisdom tooth. The fee of $600 to repair the sinus membrane is also very reasonable. Depending on how much repair is needed, this can be a very delicate and tedious surgical procedure.

Generally when there is a sinus perforation after an extraction, the surgeon will thoroughly clean out the area and use copious amounts of saline to irrigate the surgical site. A collagen membrane, sometimes resembles a thin piece of tissue paper, is placed over the perforation to close off the sinus. This membrane eventually integrates with your own sinus tissue to become one. The area is sutured closed and you are given strict instructions about blowing your nose gently (if at all for several days), sneezing with your mouth open and not drinking through a straw until the membrane heals over.

If you are a smoker, now would be a perfect time to stop because smoking can impede the healing which could require multiple surgeries to fix.

Let us know how you do!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkeen View Post
Hi all , found the forum while searching for info on a situation i have. I have been reading about some of you with roots into the sinus cavity, and that is why i am here. Today i saw a dentist for a tooth ach and it is an upper wisdom tooth that he says the roots protrude into the sinus cavity. He says it will be $275 for the extraction and $600 to repair the membrane . What is involved in this prosess ,it sounds odd to me , or should i find another dentist ? Thx! pkeen
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote