View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 12:18 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default comparing eyes to teeth??

Hi minymo,

Comparing eyes to teeth may not hold the exact same comparison since teeth can be replaced with implants or by other less invasive options. Also, one could live without teeth with alot less difficulty than living without their eyes.

I agree that people should stay with a dentist that they are comfortable with but many people don't have the finances to keep switching dentists. But it would be nice to find someone you like more easily than it seems to be!

I am concerned by this quote as I have never (in 30+ years) heard of such a thing. Where in the world is this being told to patients??
<<There is a new fad around dentists, around here, that says you do not need anything more than the small molars right behind your canines to chew your food with. And that people who smoke do not deserve teeth. And that people who do not brush with a specific speed electrical toothbrush twice a day do not deserve teeth. And that all this dental care is too costly for your insurance, even if you pay very high premiums "through your teeth".>>

I am also cncerned by this quote.
<<When there is a choice between doing a nerve and cleanout job on a tooth, obviously there is a risk that in five to ten years, you loose the tooth anyway. Is this a good reason to not do the clean-out job and see what gives?>>
What is a nerve and cleanout job on a tooth? Are you referring to a root canal procedure or an apicoectomy? Either procedure does pose certain health risks especially to anyone who has a compromised immune system because it is impossible to remove all of the necrotic tissue from inside of a tooth. Losing the tooth in 5 or so years is less of an issue than what this type of chronic infection and inflammation could be doing to a persons immune system during that time.

There is some concern about placing opposing implants because there is no periodontal ligament around the implant like natural teeth have. So yes the implants are more rigid to bite against. But if done properly, it usually is not a problem.

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by minymo View Post
One thing I would urge anyone to think about: like eyes, teeth, once pulled, are not renewable. Therefore, if you do not feel good about your dentist, find another one. And another one. And another one. Until you do feel good.

There is a new fad around dentists, around here, that says you do not need anything more than the small molars right behind your canines to chew your food with. And that people who smoke do not deserve teeth. And that people who do not brush with a specific speed electrical toothbrush twice a day do not deserve teeth. And that all this dental care is too costly for your insurance, even if you pay very high premiums "through your teeth".

I made an appointment with a new dentist and asked him whether he is old-fashioned in believing that dentists are there to prevent pulling teeth as opposed to modern science telling him to pull teeth "preventatively". (I do not see, frankly, what is exactly being prevented except costs for the insurance company. When there is a choice between doing a nerve and cleanout job on a tooth, obviously there is a risk that in five to ten years, you loose the tooth anyway. Is this a good reason to not do the clean-out job and see what gives? In my opinion, as the owner of the teeth, obviously the answer is no. Besides, if my insurer doesn't like it, they can tell me no. I do not need my dentist to "preventatively" tell me no, it feels like the dentist is trying to be the nicest kid in the class at my expense.)

Do not take any crap. If you are unhappy, change dentist.

My cuz the dentist told me that until they use a certain technique involving tevlon before the actual implant, they will not be able to do opposing implants that last, i.e.: if you have implants for let's say your upper canines and your lower canines as well, you will have problems quickly because of rigidity that is not present in natural teeth which will cause the implants to cause irritation-induced infections in the jawbone. In other words: you can have implants, but not if the opposing tooth is an implant as well. They might give it to you, but it won't work.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote