View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 11:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

This is a good one, ((((((Liz))))))

I started going to the pain management clinic a few years ago. Interestingly, I got assigned to the Director.

He was abrupt and rushed and didn't "hear me" and didn't pay any attention to me at all.

This is a clinic in a teaching hospital in Boston. Lots of patients. Not enough time per patient. The students/residents see the patient first; then you're transferred over the whomever your doctor is. Not a good way of doing it but that's what you get when you go to the clinic.

I complained to my primary care physican about his manner and his abruptness (almost bordering on rudeness) -- SHE was the director of the Women's Health Center.

I wasn't TOLD. But, it was obvious that she talked to him. Because the next time that I saw him (less than two weeks later), he was polite and civil. He asked me questions which indicated he had actually read the record. He listened to me. And told why me I 'should' or 'should not' choose particular alternatives.

Basically, the whole point that I'm trying to make is that maybe if someone that knows the doctor that you're having a problem with can intervene for you, it might change the relationship. It worked for me.

He's a totally different doctor now. He had the practical skills when I met him. He had the managerial skills. He just didn't have what they categorize as "good bedside manner" -- even though there was no bedside involved

All of the different doctors that I've had over my lifetime -- everything from GYN to pain management -- the ones that I actually 'clicked with' and felt like I am 'part of a team with' were the ones that took the time to listen and respected my opinion even if they didn't agree with it.

Hugs for the room.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote