View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008, 10:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rum River View Post

My neurologist confirmed the TN diagnosis, and I've been on Gabapentin since mid-April. I started out slow at 300mg daily, and plateaued at 900mg daily. The side effects weren't bad, and I got significant relief.

In the last week though, the symptoms have returned, and I've gone up to 1800mg daily. (The max my prescription allows.) The gabapentin doesn't seem to offer any relief, and the side effects are more noticeable.
Hi Rum River,
Sorry you had to find us under these circumstances. I also take gabapentin. I have had to titrate upwards with it as well. My doctor told me to allow a few weeks after increasing the dose, as it sometimes takes a while to set in. The side effects mellow out over time, just as they may have when you first started. I am up at 4,800mg a day. That is the maximum. I have been taking it for a year. I met my neurosurgeon for the first time last week, and even he was impressed that it was that high. So it's not for everyone. And I am having breakthrough pain.
Have you tried nortriptyline or amytriptyline yet? They are both anti-depressants, but they manage neuropathic pain pretty impressively, as far as I'm concerned. I am unfortunately maxxed out on that as well, so it's back to the Dr for something different. I am truly scared of what pain I may get during the transition.
Anyway, I check in once a week or so, so if you have any other questions, go ahead and post - I'm happy to answer.
Welcome, and I hope that you get some sort of relief soon!
Mylastnerve
Mylastnerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote