View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 06:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Neuro Protection may be available now.

Hi Boann, I have begun to think that the big drug companies only want to research or trial new drugs that will have a big payoff. Maybe years from now there will be an actual "cure" for PD. But meanwhile, those of us who have PD continue to progress, some faster then others. Because I was told I had MS four years ago, I searched the net for MS treatments. I came across The LDN website where most of the users of low dose naltrexone have MS. Many claim it works better than the very powerful and expensive MS drugs they had been taking. I got an Rx for LDN 28 months ago and noticed some improvements in my balance. They changed my Dx to PD four months later and I began Sinemet which fixed my tremor. I have reduced my Sinemet by 2/3rds, maybe because 3 a day was more than I needed but I don't see my self getting worse. I hope taking LDN is keeping me from progressing.
The research papers I posted previously show to me that, independant of the anecdotal LDN claims, there is scientific reason to believe that there are now FDA approved drugs like naltrexone and dextromethorphan (cough syrrup) that could stop progression of PD. They exist now, are very cheap and so the drug companies can't make any money on them since they would have to show in expensive trials that they work for PD and then would not be able to claim them as their own invention.
My hope is that LDN will keep PD at bay indefinately and I won't need any miracle drug besides 1x Sinemet. Time will tell.
There was someone from the other site who said he was taking another opioid receptor antagonist, dextromethorphan (cough syrrup), instead of LDN and was doing ok. Would like to here from him.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Regards, Ashley

Last edited by Wittesea; 03-23-2007 at 02:36 PM. Reason: members request
ashleyk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote