View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 01:27 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

mrsd, you never cease to amaze me. You help so many people, I wonder if you ever sleep. Let me see if I can answer some of these things about quinine. First, and foremost, I listened to you and my PCP. I am down to 2 on one day and 1 the next. I take them just prior to sleep.

Quinine poses serious and potentially deadly risks. These side effects clearly outweigh the potential benefits of using this drug for the treatment or prevention of nocturnal leg cramps. Quinine adverse reactions include:

* Cardiac arrhythmias. This potentially serious condition causes irregularities in the sequence of heartbeats. Quinine cardiac arrhythmias can produce anxiety and, more seriously, impair the heart’s ability to properly pump blood. Drug treatments, artificial pacemakers, and other treatments may be necessary to address this condition. (MY HEART IS PERFECT AT THIS TIME. I WAS IN THE HOSPITAL LAST THURSDAY FOR A BATTERY OF TESTS AFTER IT TOOK A HALF HOUR TO WAKE ME.)

* Thrombocythemia. This is a quinine side effect that causes the body to produce excess platelets, which leads to abnormal blood clotting or bleeding. This condition doesn’t often produce symptoms, though it can cause the formation of blood clots. Symptoms of blood clots can include tingling the extremities, cold fingertips, headaches, dizziness, and weakness. Nosebleeds, bruising easily, digestive tract bleeding, and gum oozing are also possible symptoms. Drug treatment is often required for this serious condition. I DON'T BLEED ANYMORE. I AM ON PLAVIX AND STILL DON'T BLEED. IF I CUT MYSELF I HAVE TO BE TWICE AS DILIGENT IN CLEANING THE CUT AND FOLLOWING UP BECAUSE I DON'T SEEM TO BLEED. MAY THIS IS THE REASON??

* Cinchonism. This condition is characterized by headaches, nausea, ringing of the ears, visual impairment, stomach pain, rashes, diarrhea, vertigo, and vomiting. RINGING IN THE EARS IS FROM VIETNAM AND A FEW THOUSAND HOURS FLYING KC-135 FOR THE AIR FORCE. I DON'T HAVE THE OTHER PROBLEMS THAT I CAN REMEMBER.

* Hypersensitivity reactions. Symptoms of this quinine side effect include hives, skin flushing, fever, facial swelling, and more. I HAVE FACIAL SWELLING (ROUNDING) FROM PREDNISONE.

* Drug interactions. When quinine is taken concurrently with mefloquine, it can increase the risk of seizures, heart arrhythmias, and other serious reactions. Other concurrent drug use may also pose serious risks. MEFLOQUINE? I DON'T TAKE IT THAT I KNOW OF.

* Contraindications. Patients with any of these condition may be at an increased risk of quinine side effects: tinnitus (or ringing of the ears), certain visual conditions, and more.

* Quinine overdose. Another serious risk posed by quinine use is the potential to receive a toxic dose. The difference between correct dose and overdose is very small with quinine. If a patient suffers a quinine overdose it can cause serious damage and may be lethal. Symptoms can include gastrointestinal side effects, cardiotoxicity, visual disturbances, central nervous system disturbances, and more. CNS PROBLEMS? I HAVE THEM.

Since 1969, the FDA has received 665 reports of serious adverse reactions caused by quinine. The agency has received reports of almost 100 deaths caused by quinine. In light of these grave risks, the FDA urges patients not to use quinine for the treatment or prevention of leg cramps. WHAT IS THE OTHER OPTION? MIRAPEX OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?

mrsd, I would love to quit all the meds. My cramps were so severe I would leap out of bed at 2am or 3am, standing on the ball of my foot, trying to get the cramp to release. It would not.
It never has. I have to BOUNCE 215 POUNDS UP AND DOWN ON THE BALL OF MY FOOT TO FORCE THE CRAMP OUT. I seriously fear tearing the muscle off the bone if I keep that up.

I understand I am a mess. I have never listed all my problems on any forum I can remember. You have seen the list of meds, so you have a better idea of my problems.

I read your posts, download a lot of them to read again later.