View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 04:12 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

We were south of the Jersey coast, in Delaware, about 4-5 blocks from the research vessel that had to helivac 2 people off of it, & one didn't survive. It was 14 miles offshore when it sent in the 'May Day', but you could see it, up on the beach,
from our apartment balcony. Maybe you saw it on TV, it was all over the local channels in Del. & MD.
Fortunately, we were not in the car at the time- it was parked alongside the apt bldg,
practically up to the boardwalk, parallel to the surf, so the right side of the car got the brunt of the wind. That's where it hit- on the right rear, but the whole panel is totaled. The trunk-lid & R qtr panel have some scratches too.
Cars nowadays aren't like they usedta be. You could repair a dent in the metal, but much of the back & front are made of plastic and molded into a single piece. This panel completely wraps around the back from the 'L' rear-qtr panel to the 'R' rear-qtr panel & is made of some non-metal, plastic or fiberglass, or ....something, and was pierced clear thru, with shards of white plastic embedded in it.
For 10 years, I've said that the barometric pressure (weather) affects my PN.
I can usually tell when a storm, or drastic change in weather, is brewing-
before the weatherman on the TV.