View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 09:41 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Yep, I hear ya!

My Dad will turn 95 this August and refuses to wear a hearing aid. The power saws he used to create beautiful furniture, clocks, etc. have ruined his hearing.

I actually did get him to have his ears checked last year. It was such a relief when the hearing tech adjusted the test equipment so that I could talk in a normal voice and Dad didn't say, "Quit mumbling!" Butttt, he wouldn't cough up the big bucks for a hearing aid!

Dad avoids anything that makes him look "old." After he had a mild stroke last month I tried to get him to carry a cane. Nope. We bought him an emergency button on a lanyard in case he fell in the shower again. Nope. He won't even put it in his pocket while he mows the lawn.

He admits he's reluctant to wear a hearing aid b/c of the stigma. Whatever. Let's face it: He's OLD!!!

Kelly, I naturally project my voice, (okay, I'm LOUD!). My son has been partially deaf since a childhood friend shot a rifle right next to his ear w/o any warning. And my DH is losing his hearing.

AMN, do you think if we introduced our fathers that they could even have a conversation? Silly old dudes. I know we love our grumpy old men, but it sure wears you out to have to care-ful-ly e-nun-ci-ate each syl-la-ble. *shrug*

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-15-2008)