Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi Kitt,

So sorry to hear that your teeth were pulled instead of doing braces! There is nothing you can do about that now and that may have been the only option available to your parents at that time. The bridge that you have for about 47 years has certainly exceeded the normal longevity of most dental bridgework. Generally, dental bridges are replaced around 15-20 years old. The cement that holds the anchor crowns on eventually wears out and this allows bacteria to get in underneath the crowns. It would be wise to periodically have your bridge checked for mobility and radiographs taken to check the health of those anchor teeth.

Anytime a tooth is going to have a crown, the tooth is ground down to a small size. Some dentists still grind the tooth to a pointy stub and others are more conservative with the preparation of the tooth. The more tooth structure removed, the more likely to injure the nerve and cause the tooth to die. But in your case, you may be one of the fortunate ones!!

If you had to have that bridge replaced and the anchor teeth were still healthy, then only minimal tooth preparation would be done mostly around the gumline and a new bridge would be fitted. If the anchor teeth were not healthy, then you may be given the option of root canal therapy or extraction. If you opted for the root canals and you ended up with a bad infection in one or both of those anchor teeth, then a whole new bridge would have to be redone again after the tooth/teeth were extracted. So if that incident ever occurs, you may want to weigh out all of your treatment options so you can make the best long term decision for yourself.

Yes, the palate is the roof of the mouth and it's good that yours is not flat should you ever need to wear a denture or partial denture!

Bryanna

Hi Bryanna, Firstly, no it wasn't the only option my parents had. The first time, when I was still at home, they opted not to have braces done. Then when I was out on my own and had a job and all the rest is when I was talked into pulling the teeth. I was, at that time, all set to go ahead with braces and pay for them on my own. But, I got talked into the other.

Yes, I feel I am lucky to have the bridge this long. Apparently the dentist at the time did a good job. In the past year, one of the eye teeth developed a very small cavity which was filled right away. I go in every six months and have my teeth checked and cleaned by a hygenist. (sp). The bridge is checked and it is fine so hopefully it will last even a lot longer I hope so.

When the time comes and if the anchor teeth are not healthy, then I would opt for false teeth. I would not do a root canal either. That does not sound wonderful to me with everything I have researched before as well. Then I would be dealing with a "dead" tooth which would break down sooner than a live one in my opinion. Think that's been said before too.

My cousin had crowns done and then found out that they didn't do root canals so had the crowns taken out and they did the root canals and put the crowns back. I would never have done that but it was her decision. I feel live teeth are better than dead ones. JMO.

My husband got his new bottom teeth today and they are really good he says. He has the two teeth remaining on the bottom. So anyway, I'm glad for that.

Again, Bryanna, thank you so very much for explaining things to me and giving me all the information. I do appreciate it very much

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It is what it is."
Kitt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote