Thread: In Remembrance
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 06:44 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart

BRAVE FIGHT: Lee Smart who died this week, pictured with his family of wife Jenny and children Liam, three, Luke, two-and-a-half, Casey Louise, four, Brandon, seven.

Brave Lee loses fight for life

Published Date: 15 May 2008
By Staff Copy

A BRAVE father-of-four who suffered from a muscle-wasting disease has died just two weeks after renewing his wedding vows.
The Express featured the inspirational story of Lee Smart in last week’s issue, after he organised the special ceremony for his wife Jenny at the Pontefract Prince of Wales Hospice, where he was receiving respite care for motor-neurone disease.

Sadly the 28-year-old died the day the paper came out, from pneumonia.

His doting wife Jenny, 29, this week paid tribute to his bravery in dealing with the debilitating disease as well as her shock at his sudden death.

She said: “It was a really big shock because he had been all right on Wednesday. He just went downhill on the evening and died at Barnsley Hospital at 5am on Thursday.

“But he isn’t in any pain any more and I think he’s in a better place now.

“Lee showed bravery from when he was first diagnosed.

“Even when he was in pain, he didn’t want to tell anyone. When the children saw him in pain he tried not to be bothered about it.

“He was as tough as bricks and always smiling.

“He just tried to get on with his life. I was very proud of him.

“It was very important that we managed to renew our vows. I’m pleased that we did it – that we had that together.”

ALS/MND Registry

BobbyB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote