View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default The deer are my fault...

because I put out salt and food for the new mothers and fawns.

Then they hang around and after they get used to our presence, they move to the shore and eat my small garden (mostly containers).

The rabbits do not get up to the high containers, but the deer really
don't mind. I used a sonic device in the past, but last year the deer learned to
ignore it.

I only need to have 2mons of deterrent, not a whole year. So I am hoping the deer don't like the Fortress.

Last year was the most aggressive damage..I move my containers up on the unused dock at night and they are typically safe then. Last year she ate them ALL.

Our island does not have alot of soil base, so plant material is sparse.
We spend quite a bit of $$ feeding the deer (and now the rabbits).
Our cat keeps the rabbits in check however.
Here is a picture of a hare eating a soy chip...that season, we had a drought, so all the greenery for the rabbits was very low. It is unheard of to see them like this in the day, semi tame. So they were starving.

The second pic is a typical deer visit (this one 2004)
That is their feeding rock and the salt lick behind them.

The deer do swim on and off to us. We see them do this. But the rabbits cannot. They can only move
from island to island during winter when the water freezes.
It has been decades of not seeing a single rabbit... and now we have tons of them! ????

These deer will eat anything. The only thing spared for me last season was chives.
"Deer resistant plants" has no meaning where we are.

When we return in Sept, I'll report back on the effectiveness of the soap shavings and
Deer Fortress. The Fortress just came UPS yesterday thru Amazon. (they had the lowest price,
beating even Ebay).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 09-29-2008 at 06:08 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote