View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008, 05:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Your doc may not have known about the mucuna patent because normally, mum is the word until the patent is filed and even then, still mum is the word until the patent is granted (or denied). No one would dare discuss something like this at a cocktail party, given the highly competitive climate out there for things that might actually WORK! It is all too easy to steal someone's idea, especially regarding something that has been around as long as mucuna, and has as much history usage behind it.
Good points all. And I don't mean to derail this thread, but since patents are info related - well, it's exactly the kind of thing that a mega-web-driven base of information could reveal, things that normally are hush-hush - but hello? A patent application is public information. So the internet does make it a whole new ballgame in so many ways - now patients are empowered to find out all kinds of stuff, and go demanding that their doctors get caught up, and Rules Could Change. Whoah. I'm liking this even more now.

However, I was trying to cast the long shadow of irony with the cocktail party remark. My point being that if there's something out there that's incredible that is working, and you're not sharing it with your peers, that's weird because we're talking about an area where patients are living and dying because of the kind info they're getting...how could one keep it to themselves?

I guess I still see some kind of ethical separation of Medicine and Business as essential to the collective health.

I guess I wasn't made for these times. But considering this same doctor who has the patent application (and we'll charitably assume it's for the best motive so that no one else will pounce on mucuna and ruin it) also helped 'invent' Zandopa, and we can get that here, but my big research guy didn't even really know about that either....I'm left scratching my head a little. I hope a big internet info thing will help, but if people aren't doing the math and reaching out for or are willing to help disseminate and implement info, then our task of curing ourselves and each other will be a lot harder....
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote