View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 03:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default teaching hospital

yes, sad to say.. but that is reality in big teaching hospital .. I was asigned mostly to Residents. And nobody was kind to me, and the Attending probably spend 5 minutes. They couldn't care much less.

But ever since I became the patient of the Chief of Neurology in the biggest teaching hospital affiliated with one of the best Med Schools in the world, I got special treatment everywhere. First time I was in the ER (before I was his patient) I only saw a NP, no Residents and definitely I didn't even know the name of the Attending or anything. The second time I was in the ER (after I became his patient), first I was seen by one of the best Attendings, then some hours later, the Chief of the ER came to my bed, and the first thing he said was "so...you know Dr. X very well!" Ok.. what is that suppose to mean??

The same thing anywhere else. Nobody wanted to make a mistake on me because I'm his patient. But my Neuro is the best MD I've ever had. He cares about my life. He encourages me to be in graduate school, to play piano again etc. And although as the previous 8 Neurologists, he still can't figure out which wires that cause variety of dysfunction in my nervous system, he is not scandalized by it. His focus is to help me, not to declare to the world of Medicine that he finally solves the mystery of my sxs.
agnuscrucis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote