View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 04:06 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Medicaid is a "JOKE" for a single parent!!

We looked into the option of going on Medicaid so to supplement my caregivers salaries. I currently pay $5,000.00 net a month for my live in RN & part time (p.t.) CNA. The 5K per month pays: mortgage, all utilities, food, the p.t. CNA and care for my son 15 day per month.

My RN has a 13 y.o. daughter who lives w/ us and has become my 4 y.o. son's big sister and sitter.

We met with a Medicaid rep last Friday and what we learnt came like a slap in the face. In order to qualify for Medicaid you must be put to a poverty level i.e.; $634.00 per month income. Any monthly income over $634.00 is forfeited to Medicaid. Plus, when the person dies Medicaid receives any assets in the name of the person.

To retain my current living arrangement I would have to qualify for 526.32 hours a month at an hourly rate of $9.50. (Medicaid's highest hourly rate) This is totally BULLS**T!!

In my case, I would have to forfeit my joint custody of my son and be forced into a nursing home at age 42.. I stated this fact to the Medicaid rep and she simply said, "we will try everything to prevent this." What a crock of S**T

How can a single parent survive and raise a child on $634.00 net per month?

If any members find my language offensive, I apologise and I'm sorry.

Jeff