View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 05:18 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Firstly, did I explain what the extent of my intolerance meant to my relatives? Did I explain that although I could not eat things containing gluten, I still needed to eat of course, so I needed to have food that did not contain gluten.
To begin with, yes you did, but can they understand the true meaning, unless they are gluten intolerant? Not often! In my family, only some understand. My mom gets it, only because she cooks for my dad, my brother in law gets it, because my sister is celiac--my own kids do not always understand, and I have been celiac for 8 yrs. It's hard to understand when you do not have to eat gf yourself. Myself, I do not even trust others to not cross contaminate me. They do not understand the significance of simple things, like not using the same spoon to stir with, or not using the same chopping boards, etc. It's not that they don't care, they just forget, and aren't thinking. It's so easy to make us ill. It's much easier for us to make a dish or 2 to take along, much safer, and makes the day much more enjoyable for everyone.

Quote:
Secondly, was I expecting others to take responsibility for my food intolerance even though they may not understand what a food intolerance was and how harmful gluten can be to me?
Only you can take this responsibility on, it's no one else's job, unless you are a child!

Quote:
Thirdly, were they thinking I was just being overly fussy or rude for not eating the food they served up for me? It was not a special occasion for me as such, but they did invite me and they did know that I had a food intolerance.
Exactly, if they planned this event for you, then yes, they should accomodate your lifestyle, I never say diet! BUT, if it is a family get-together, then of course, you do not want to be left out, just always plan on taking something to eat. Our family get-togethers always include bringing a dish or 2 to pass, always have, so I would plan on bringing something gluten free anyways! I never go to eat, I go to enjoy my family and friends.

I do not live to eat, I eat to live!!!!!

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

Last edited by darlindeb25; 05-18-2008 at 05:19 AM. Reason: I forgot to say something!!!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote