View Single Post
Old 10-20-2006, 07:37 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Jeff, maybe I'm not understanding, but it sounds to me like you are curently able to pay $5,000/month expenses for the arrangement you have now. You must have some assets, although I'm sure they are rapidly depleting. Depending on how rapidly you're going through your savings, you may have to go on Medicaid at some point, but that shouldn't come until you've eaten through your assets. I'm not sure what you were expecting from medicaid--did you think they'd let you pass on an estate to your son while you took money from them for your living expenses? That doesn't seem fair to taxpayers.

It sounds like Medicaid is not the way you want to go--at least until you have to. Can you get at the equity in your house with a reverse mortgage, or even sell it to raise cash and move to a rental? Have you tapped all other outside sources of income--disability payments, social security, anything lying around in a safe deposit box and old IRA and retirement accounts? Do you have anything of value that you can sell--vehicles, boats, coin or gun collections, jewelry? I'm just throwing out ideas here, not sure what will work.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.
Meg1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote