View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 11:15 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotic1 View Post
However, the visible black holes indicate you have some real progression in your disease. They represent brain loss - get enough of them and the brain will contract around them and you will have significant brain atrophy.

In putting this together I would think your neuro would want to be an the agressive side was far as watching and treating, but actually I don't know for sure. On my other forum we currently have three or four people with significant brain alterations (lesions), but few or no symptoms. I have not see a good description of how these people are treated or what the recommendations are.
Quix
I've seen two neurologists -- my one at home and one at the Mayo Clinic. The Mayo doc. said that the black holes show that my brain isn't healing well (doesn't have the capacity to repair) so he suggested starting aggressively with Rebif (highest dose interferon) even with CIS and mild symptoms. Unfortunately, I could not tolerate interferons or even copaxone. I am switching to a new neuro at the MS clinic in my city in 2 weeks. I'm not sure what the next step is -- maybe Tysabri? I dont' know if they will give T. to someone who hasn't technically had a "relapse." But as I said in an earlier post I had T2 lesions, 2 enhanced lesions, and some black holes on the initial MRI. Maybe that combined with not tolerating the other DMD's will make me a Tysabri candidate?
Thanks again for the info.