View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 05:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello all ...

I'm new here, have found this forum by complete accident - and am glad for it! I've been nickel sensitive for the past 31 years with flare ups far and few between until recently. The past three years have been an absolute nightmare.

Rhapsody - I thank you for mentioning buckwheat as being a potential trigger (in my case at least). I've been using a sobakawa pillow for several years - I guess this explains the near-constant seborrhea. As comfortable as they are Sobakawa pillow is going bye-bye for something that is really hypoallergenic, IF such a thing truly exist.

And Lara, thank you for the mention of razor blades! This had not even crossed my mind. It could very well explain the flare ups on my legs.

Although, the discomfort I have been experiencing for the past (well, almost three years) could be of a more insidious nature. The end of August of this year will mark the third year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. The reason I mention this is because my current dermatologist told me that following the hurricane, every dermatologist in this area was swarmed by people with complaints of eczema - which leads me (and him) to believe that there are contaminants still lingering in the soil and air - three years after the fact. Pre-Katrina, my flare ups were - as I previously stated, far and few between - and very short lived. Post-Katrina, well - since we have returned home, it has been a constant battle. I refuse to believe this is coincidence.

That being said - I'm currently on my third day of Prednisone therapy (for the second time, which I *detest* due to the side effects) and I woke up this morning with a large, nasty oozing sore on my scalp - hair, glued to my head. So again, Rhapsody - I think you've nailed it with the buckwheat - or, shall we say sobakawa pillow.

And finally, Katweena - YES, the reaction on your eyes could very well be food related. I have *never* worn makeup - and last week, I experienced the same exact thing.

Now, here is a question I wish to pose to every active member of this forum. My *former* dermatologist said that eczema can and will not effect mucus membranes - yet, yesterday - what I believed to be an eyelash turned out to be a tiny cluster of blisters on the INSIDE of my lower eyelid. Has anyone ever heard of this?! The blisters are thankfully gone today. It's definitely not allergic conjunctivitis - I've had numerous times.

Hopefully, with all the brilliant minds here - and in combining the extensive research I'm sure we've all done, we can all find a way of helping each other through this miserable disease. Even if it is only to listen.

Peace,
Cygnus
cygnus x1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote