15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Heart

Go n-eírí an bóthar leat, Tom Flatley.

The Patriot Ledger
Posted May 21, 2008 @ 06:30 AM
Last update May 21, 2008 @ 08:12 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Go n-eírí an bóthar leat.” Loosely translated, it means “May the road rise with you.”

It’s part of an Irish blessing and one that is fitting in bidding Thomas Flatley farewell.

There likely are few people who have lived in this state for even the briefest of time who aren’t familiar with the Flatley name, on office buildings, hotels, apartments or malls.

But especially in our region, Tom Flatley’s name grew in stature because of his largesse in supporting social causes that showed the Irish immigrant never forgot his roots and never departed from his church’s teachings about caring for his fellow man, especially those least able to care for themselves.

Flatley’s life is the true American dream, one swathed in hard work, dedication to his family and fidelity to his religious beliefs.

While Flatley may have parlayed his work ethic, talent and intelligence into becoming one of the world’s richest men, those who saw him and his wife, the former Charlotte McLeod of Quincy, eating breakfast or lunch at a local establishment or at daily Mass at Milton’s St. Agatha’s would never have guessed this was a man who could eat or live anywhere he wanted.

And he wanted to live here. We could never speak for Flatley and say it wasn’t about the money but we can say, from our experience with his generosity in being an anonymous donor to our Lend A Hand fundraising, that Flatley knew the good his money could do.

His ideology may have leaned slightly right but his philanthropy knew no partisan bounds.

Whether it was millions to the Archdiocese in cash donations and buildings, chairing the commission that erected the Irish Famine Memorial in Boston or his never-wavering support of the homeless through his work with Father Bill’s Place, Flatley, in today’s vernacular, paid it forward in a big way.

Flatley in the last year didn’t see many of his old friends, as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, more commonly known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, sapped his strength and his vitality. Those closest to him said he never wanted to be a burden.

Flatley’s legacy is secure and there’s no doubt his charitable foundation will continue the work he started. As another Irish prayer says:

Don't grieve for me, for now I'm free!

I follow the plan God laid for me.

I saw His face, I heard His call,

I took His hand and left it all. . .

I could not stay another day,

To love, to laugh, to work or play;

Tasks left undone must stay that way.

And if my parting has left a void,

Then fill it with remembered joy. . .

Go n-eírí an bóthar leat, Tom Flatley.

http://www.patriotledger.com:80/opin...at-Tom-Flatley

ALS/MND Registry