View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 04:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The difficult thing is Mom is still in her condo, requiring no care so far. She drives herself to lunch each day . . . but eats the same items off the menu in the same restaurants she rotates through every day. . . .and she loves the attention and the fact the wait staffs know exactly what she will be getting. She likes being called by her fist name as she walks in (I now know that certain establishments must train their staff in dementia and Alz., because I saw with my own eyes how good they are with the elderly like my mom -- not quite out of it, but in that "phase," if you know what I mean.)

I am not sure if she has seen a neurologist for her dementia, but I do know she had a difficult lumbar fusion a couple of years ago, and several neuros objected to the questions my sister (who was acting as her advocate and making sure Mom and the doctors were understanding one another) was asking pre-surgery. From my recollection, I would have been asking the same or even more pointed questions about the procedures, second opinions, etc. . . . but would you believe one neuro documented that my sister caused the delay in my mom's surgery, and is therefore responsible for my mom's frustration and belief that the delay caused all her problems. My mother actually believes the pain from the lumbar issues/pre-and-post-surgical pain are what caused her memory, word-finding, confusion, and other issues!

I will ask my sis once again if Mom has been to a neuro for her dementia issues. If she is unable, then I will ask my brother is he could take some time to do this. And I will see about following up to push her PC to support this move.

And her boyfriend (odd word when he is 83!) has recovered nicely from his series of strokes. They seem to be doing well.