Thread: Botox
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lucy,
I have Trigeminal Neuropathy, similar in most regards to TN, but with the constant, drilling, high-voltage line pian, instead of the jolts.
I have tried botox with some mixed results. The first botox that I had was a single, but very well placed shot, that helped for 2 weeks, but then put me in a major aggitated-nerve flare for 14 days straight. Hoiwever, to this day, the pain in my top teeth is significantly reduced. That shot was 6 months ago.
In April, we did a whole series of shots, down my forehead to the bridke of my nose, around my eybrow and along the top edge of my cheekbone, as well as a spot beside my nose.
This time, it seems to have simply diffused the pain, so that it now feels like little magnesium sparklers going off under my skin. I also still get the stampeding flares, that come on fast and strong, and require narcotics.
I would recommend it as one treatment in an arsenal of many, to treat this condition. So many of us get significant results from the anti-seizure medications, it may be wise to try this route as well.
To give you an idea of my medication doses, I am taking 110mg of nortriptyline (antidepressant)a day, as well as 4,800mg of gabapentin/neurontin (antiseizure med). These medication levels are high, but they allow me to hold down a job rather than crawl on the floor in pain.
I wish him all the best on his journey with this illness.
Good luck!
Mylastnerve
Mylastnerve is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lucy (05-22-2008)