View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 11:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default They're doing studies now...

They are currently running studies combining copaxone and a female hormone (I think it's estriol?). It is thought that when a woman is pregnant she is asymptomatic due to hormones and then there is often a large postpartum exacerbation.

However, I have heard one MS expert say that when they looked at statistics of women with MS who went thru pregnancy - the amount of exacerbations is relatively the same as non-pregnant people with MS - as in it all averages out in a year's time span apparently. Not sure I'm explaining that correctly. Of course, if the woman stays on the hormones indefinitely, then the amount of exacerbations wouldn't increase, as it does during the postpartum period.

Not sure any of what I said makes sense...except the first paragraph!

Anyhow, they are doing a multi-center study with the copax and hormones. They've even recently "relaxed" the criteria so that participants can include those who are currently on copax. Of course, it is a double-blind study - you definitely get the copax, but you don't know if you're really getting the hormones.

~Keri
RedPenguins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote