View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I've been on Oxycontin 15mgs for about 18 months now for chronic pain, with Oxycodone 5mgs as a breakthrough pain reliever for whenever I get an acute pain that I cannot resolve with Paracetamol.

When I had surgery recently the anaethethetist increased my breakthrough Oxycodone from 5mgs as required to 10-20mgs, 3-4 times daily as needed.

Luckily for me the highest dose I've ever taken was 10mgs, because yesterday my GP told me she's going to stop the Oxycodone all together. I'd be pretty scared if I was taking 20mgs and had to stop really quickly, but luckily I'm not.

She is increasing my twice daily slow release dose from 15mgs to 20mgs, and said I will no longer need any scripts for break through pain relief.

I'd be more than happy to get rid of all opiates from my life, but what happens next time I'm crying all night long from severe pain like I've done in the past?

We talked for quite a while about the 5mg increase yesterday because I wasn't happy to increase it in the first place. I was quite concerned about a rise in the dose as I didn't want to be labelled a druggie in any way. She spent about 10 minutes explaining to me that people like me who have genuine pain need appropriate pain relief and that includes opiate pain killers. That's why she wants to increase my SR daily dose.

And then.......all of a sudden she tells me she's taking away my safety blanket of Oxycodone 5mgs, for when things get really tough. 20 X 5mgs Oxycodone tablets have always lasted me at least a month, very often longer.

I just don't understand!

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote