Old 05-22-2008, 02:02 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmo View Post
when he talks about the blood brain barrier. I tthink that is the key to finding the causes and treatments of PD.

Charlie
Thanks Chasmo, I often think if I won the lottery, I could do my own research on the BBB.
First, it is possible to measure the permeability of the BBB in vivo, (of a living patient). So take a group of healthy controls, and measure the average BBB permeability, say 100. Then take a group of PWP and measure their BBB permeabilities. Draw a graph of Hohn & yahr score, (or years of PD), against BBB permeability. Is the graph a straight line? Or is there a clear indication of increasing permeability with increasing years of PD. For example,
2 years PD BBB permeability 110
5 " " " " 140
10 " " " " 170
If so, strong evidence for the theory.
Next look at the table of compounds that improve PD symptoms, and reduce BBB permeability, (curcumin, alpha lipoic acid, etc), and look for a substance with a more profound effect. Use this to reduce the BBB permeability of the PWP's to that of a healthy person (100).
Has dopamine stopped leaking out of your brain into the bloodstream, has carbidopa stopped leaking into your brain, have toxins stopped leaking into your brain, PD symptoms now gone?
I wish one of us could win the lottery!!!
Ron