View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 05:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
I have found that the best position it to have your feet slightly elevated.

That certainly is a bit of common sense when it comes to lower extremity swelling. However, I have positional issues, in that raising my feet (while seated) shifts my body into a position where my, uh-hum, "bum" is triggered to relax, causing leaking. Most people with PN do not have issues with incontinence, but when you are lacking your entire colon and beyond, and in its place is a j-pouch which, as wondrous as it is in keeping me from having to wear an ostomy bag, is very sensitive to position and other stimulii . . . often with dire consequences. I do everything in my power not to upset the pouch, as you can imagine!

I also have always had trouble elevating my feet above my head, as in reclining. I get nauseous and ill-feeling.

We do, however, keep the covers on our bed very loose at the feet. For a while I could only sleep with socks on, to reduce the sensation of things touching my feet, but now even that is too much stimulation. It is really too bad when the bed, that cozy, warm arena of snuggling, comfort and naps, becomes a challenge! But for that matter, eating for me has become an eternal challenge (as I am sure all celiacs can also identify with) and walking . . . and forget horseback riding, hiking long distances, kayaking (yeah, right -- if it isn't cramps, numbness or circulation cut off, it is the need to paddle to a nice restroom!), and let's just say I am glad I tested myself for a few years as a mountaineer before any of my health issues showed up!!!
"Thanks for this!" says:
loretta (07-09-2009)