View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 06:16 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Very glad to find this place!

I'm 16, and developed a nickel reaction for various reasons when I was about 13. It started with a huge, midly uncomfortable rash all over my arms and legs, of course not knowing the cause, and beeing a typical teen, i was wearing cheap market-stall metal bangel over the rash! The doctors were pretty rubbish, took months of trips and a visit to a dermatolagist to conclude that nickel was the cause.
Since then the area coverd by the rash has lowerd majorly, but it's never gone away compleatly, and become worse in the places that it does still hit. Theres a patch just below my belly button which i think has been effected, and often infected, for 3 years straight. Apart from being horribly horribly uncomfortable, stupid rashs all the time arn't the best way to build a young girls confidence!
Other areas i've found effected badly are underarms (razors?), neck (which I worked out was from the 1cm strip of metal in hairtyes, from wearing my hair in pigtails - i HAVE to wear my hair like this for work, but discoverd tyes which are fastend by glue so are metal free =]). I don't wear earings, if i do (even higher quality ones) then after an hour I have to take them out.

Doctors have given me tons and tons of antibiotics, millions of different creams and lotions, but not of them seem to be quite doing the trick, not to mention horrible side effects of the meds. I've tried and tried to cut nickel from my life, but find it unavoidable in things like jeans and belts (although have tried covering up the buckels and studs with nail polish, tape etc.)
I'm a student, and i'm fed up of not being able to buy cheap and cheerful jelwery from New Look and the like (by the way, Claire's accesories is by far the worst, if anything from there pretty much touchs me then I flare up).

Couple of people have mentioned razors, i've looked tons of times and can't find any nickel free =/
Also, someone mentions psychosemantic (sorry about my awful spelling) rashes, what are the symptoms of such of that? I've always had heat rash as well, as long as i remember.

Very sorry for the long post, reading other peoples I can't believe you've had to resort to nickel-free diets, sounds horrible =[ *chocoholic!!*
I'm fully aware you guys have much worse conditions as me, but the chance to post and possible get advice from somewhere that people have a chance of understanding is intreiging!

Thanks,
Lifebright.
x
Lifebright is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote