View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 01:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Enterolab & IgA Deficiency Questions

I keep thinking over my recent stool tests from Diagnos-Techs lab. My total intestinal SIgA was <69. Normal is 400-880, so it was very low. My oriental/acupuncturist doc explained it to me that it was low because my immune system has been fighting the bad bacterial overgrowth in my intestines for a long time.

I did Enterolab testing in April and everything was in normal range. Here are my results:

Antigliadin IgA 6 (Normal <10 units)
Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 4 (Normal <10 units)
Microscopic Fat Score 47 (Normal <300 units)
Anti-casein IgA 4 (Normal <10 units)

I was off gluten for 7 months, but was still eating some hidden sources of gluten, like soy sauce with wheat. I'm wondering if my total stool secretory IgA was so low if I'm IgA deficient? If I am IgA deficient, what is the significance of my absorbtion test (quantitiative microscopic fecal fat score)?

Here is an article that I thought explained Selective IgA deficiency quite nicely, in English!

http://www.primaryimmune.org/pubs/book_pats/e_ch04.pdf

I'm wondering if someone who is fairly healthy, like me, could ask to be tested for IgA deficiency? What kind of doctor would I see to ask for the testing, and what exactly would I ask for? I'm particularly interested in the implications for future autoimmune diseases, though I don't have any now. Since my aunt has Sjogren's syndrome and lupus, I'm concerned about possible genetic connections.

Thanks, Claire