View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 02:56 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb02 View Post
Hi Monique,

I understand your fears and concerns, but I agree that you should try to finish your degree. You may have to take a lighter course load, but do not give up. I think that you probably need to do something for yourself in order to be there for your son.

I was dx in March 2007, and I am a professor. Last summer I did not know how I was going to go back to classes in the fall and I was worried that I would have to go on disability. But I did go back and there were some days that were tough ( I did take 2 sick days), but gradually I realized that I could do this. I just have to be careful to take some down time every afternoon, and listen to my body when it is telling me to take it easy. For example, I sit most of the time while teaching, and have cut back on service (committee) work.

At first, I thought I could not make any plans because this dang disease is so unpredictable. But I have gradually come to understand that if I do not make plans then I am allowing the ms to win. At the same time, I am trying to be practical by paying off all of my credit cards and saving more money. Notice I said trying ...

Good luck!
Barb,
Thanks for the advice! I will try and get through this upcoming year. I have always been the one to juggle everything and I have my 3 boys, 2 of them special needs, a graduate assistantship, and an internship at a hospital (this past semester I was working in Hospice).

I am doing well with my money, I threw a ton of it in a safe in my room just in case and I have no credit card debt. I still don't know if I'm going to tell the lady in the hosp. about my MS or switch to another placement where I won't have to walk around all day (3 days a week). Wow.. you must be proud of going to class and fighting against the MonSter!

I am already registered with the Disability Resource Center at UGA, I guess I will write my counselor and just make contact with her, and maybe I'll feel better about the whole thing. I am going to plow through this all, sometimes I just feel like such a waste with going on two masters and then will have to (maybe) eventually apply for SSI/SSDI and not use those degrees. Ugh..

Monique
mom23angels is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (05-23-2008)