View Single Post
Old 10-21-2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Either "Total IgA" or "IgA w/ 2 subsets" is the test you'd want, and any (willing) doctor should be able to order it. The DAN! doctor we saw for my daughter tested it without my asking, along with a lot of other immunological testing. You might want to consider a DAN! doctor, or integrative medicine type doctor. They seem so much more open to this sort of testing, and thinking preventatively/proactively.

Complete IgA deficiency, I think I read somewhere...maybe even the article you posted... is less than 7, but below range IgA can also affect other IgA test results (and health). It seems there are slightly different terms to distinguish them, but only complete/total IgA deficiency runs the risk for transfusion (my understanding anyway).

I believe I've read that Enterolab stool testing runs into the same problems with IgA deficiency as blood testing does. Have you read this, too? I think Anne has posted about it a few times, and I'm sure its probably on the Enterolab website somewhere.

My daughter shows total IgA (blood) just slightly below range at 70 (81-463). She also showed low Fecal sigA on a stool test from Doctor's Data 36 (40-204).

I know there are quite a few others who post here who have run into low IgA themselves, or in their children. It seems to be part of the picture for some of us.

Interestingly, I think some have posted that their children's IgA went up from one test to another...maybe after gfd (?), but I can't remember that for sure.

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 10-24-2006 at 12:07 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote