View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 06:47 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie8 View Post
I just have to vent about cheating students! I have a masters student in my class who plagiarized by lifting material WORD FOR WORD from amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com right off the internet! I am putting this report together right now to turn her in to the honor board and it is taking forever.

Maybe I'm naive or super ethical but every time this happens I am just speechless. It never would have occured to me to cheat when I was in high school or college!! The worst thing is, I even explain to the students what plagiarism is (so they can't claim to not know) and they still do it.

I guess the internet makes it easy to cheat? Perhaps with the world of myspace, facebook, blogs and the easy spread of information that young people don't realize that it is wrong to claim someone else's words as their own.

Please tell me if you are a parent and have kids that you tell them it is wrong to cheat! I'm so discouraged by this generation of young people.

Natalie,

Rules taught by my Major Prof, then taught by me to all of my grad-students:
RULE #1: A Cheater Will Not Be Rewarded.
RULE #2: A Cheater Will Be Exposed To ALL.
RULE #3: A Cheater Gets An "F" (for the entire class).

Honor your students by not letting a cheater dishonor their hard work.

I would call her out in front of the class and explain why she is going to fail. Let that be the first time she hears about it.

Cheating students are scum.

-Vic
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (05-23-2008), Curious (05-23-2008), ewizabeth (05-23-2008), Jules A (05-24-2008), Kitty (05-24-2008), Koala77 (05-23-2008), MooseasaurusRex (05-23-2008), Natalie8 (05-24-2008), tovaxin_lab_rat (05-23-2008), yeahbut (05-24-2008)