View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I am going to approach this from another angle . . . cause that is what I do.

I'm not sure why you would feel it is necessary to get two masters degrees . . . unless of course it is for some reason? Is it necessary for the type of work you want to do, or for the pay you hope to get . . . or what?

I too am a Type A, but there were two things my neuro told me when she mentioned MS in 1991:

1. Don't have kids
2. REDUCE STRESS

Well, I had my kids anyway , and I don't regret that decision. Otherwise though . . . I did reduce stress in a BIG way. Even though I had just spent several years getting my education and career in place . . . I dropped those "dreams", right there and then, in order to focus on taking care of my health. From that point forward, I put my kids first, my career last, and because I was very skilled, I still made excellent money doing very easy jobs.

I was able to remain gainfully employed for 14 yrs after the MS became a force to reckon with, and consider myself very lucky in that regard. Perhaps I could have continued to work beyond that, but it would have been a terrible struggle to do so, and my new neuro told me to REDUCE STRESS. That is what I did.

I have disability coverage, fortunately, so I can provide for my family (I am a single mom, with a very supportive ex too).

I really admire that you can raise 3 kids, as a sole custodial parent, especially with one (or two) who have special needs. Those things alone are huge accomplishments!!

So, I guess my recommendation would be to REDUCE STRESS. If it is not necessary to get that second degree, I would go out and make some money while I still can.

To each their own though.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
mom23angels (05-23-2008)