View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 10:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
I am going to approach this from another angle . . . cause that is what I do.

I'm not sure why you would feel it is necessary to get two masters degrees . . . unless of course it is for some reason? Is it necessary for the type of work you want to do, or for the pay you hope to get . . . or what?

I too am a Type A, but there were two things my neuro told me when she mentioned MS in 1991:

1. Don't have kids
2. REDUCE STRESS

Well, I had my kids anyway , and I don't regret that decision. Otherwise though . . . I did reduce stress in a BIG way. Even though I had just spent several years getting my education and career in place . . . I dropped those "dreams", right there and then, in order to focus on taking care of my health. From that point forward, I put my kids first, my career last, and because I was very skilled, I still made excellent money doing very easy jobs.

I was able to remain gainfully employed for 14 yrs after the MS became a force to reckon with, and consider myself very lucky in that regard. Perhaps I could have continued to work beyond that, but it would have been a terrible struggle to do so, and my new neuro told me to REDUCE STRESS. That is what I did.

I have disability coverage, fortunately, so I can provide for my family (I am a single mom, with a very supportive ex too).

I really admire that you can raise 3 kids, as a sole custodial parent, especially with one (or two) who have special needs. Those things alone are huge accomplishments!!

So, I guess my recommendation would be to REDUCE STRESS. If it is not necessary to get that second degree, I would go out and make some money while I still can.

To each their own though.

Cherie
Hi,
Well.. my first degree was in psychology but I never earned a license with that one because it was a one year degree. This will be a two year social work degree that I will be able to do more with (and thought I could have my own practice if I wanted to). Unfortunately, working in GA as a therapist/social worker/counselor you need to be licensed so that is why I went back to school.

Not to mention I have a grad. assistantship so I'm actually going back to school for $600/semester compared to people taking out tons of loans. I might actually try and get a job after school with the Disability Resource Center at UGA.. my counselor has the same degree I would have - MSW and they are pro-disabilities of course

I am ALL for less stress.. my kids are going to visit my ex's parents tomorrow..so I have the whole house to myself.. I wonder what I'll do first Thank you for writing and giving me advice.

Monique
mom23angels is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote