View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008, 10:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie8 View Post
I just have to vent about cheating students! I have a masters student in my class who plagiarized by lifting material WORD FOR WORD from amazon.com and barnesandnoble.com right off the internet! I am putting this report together right now to turn her in to the honor board and it is taking forever.

Maybe I'm naive or super ethical but every time this happens I am just speechless. It never would have occured to me to cheat when I was in high school or college!! The worst thing is, I even explain to the students what plagiarism is (so they can't claim to not know) and they still do it.

I guess the internet makes it easy to cheat? Perhaps with the world of myspace, facebook, blogs and the easy spread of information that young people don't realize that it is wrong to claim someone else's words as their own.

Please tell me if you are a parent and have kids that you tell them it is wrong to cheat! I'm so discouraged by this generation of young people.

Hi Natalie,
That is so awful but I wouldn't doubt it especially being in grad school now and seeing how other students act regarding their grades and working. It makes me so proud of seeing my sons, esp. the one with Autism bring home his report card today and had all Satisfactories but two Ns.

I look at my report card back then and I actually had Ns and Us. But I never cheated and I just got a 3.9 this year and I still won't cheat and my sons are raised to do their best and I'm proud of them. I just think kids are raised differently nowadays.

When I was a therapist in a D-rated school in Florida the kids were excited about going to the Principals office, when I was a kid you were terrified to go there and I knew my parents would kill me. You can see the difference between the older/non-traditional students at UGA and the ones that go for their masters right after their bachelors. I can remember being in Research class and people asking each other what the answers for take-home quizzes was.. lol.. I better get off this soapbox before I fall and hurt myself!!

Monique
mom23angels is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (05-24-2008), Koala77 (05-24-2008), Natalie8 (05-24-2008), Victor H (05-24-2008)